Friday, December 12, 2008

DONE!

As of right now, I have finished all the edits on my book. I have forwarded the comments to my typesetter who has already updated the proof and sent a draft back to me. This draft had a couple of errors, but the typesetter seems to be able to turn things pretty quickly.

Soooooo...

...I am almost at the point where I can announce and lock-down a firm book launch date.

Steps I need to take to finalize a date:
  1. Finalize the proof - Today
  2. Receive final, print-quality proof - 12/16/2008
  3. Get quotes & time estimates from printers - 12/19/2008
  4. Negotiate print job with one printer - 12/22/2008
  5. Get final print schedule - 12/30/2008
  6. Announce book launch date - 12/30/2008
  7. Print the book on time!
Exciting!

Of course, this is far from all I have to do to produce the final book. Beyond those tasks, I have to:
  • Get reviews for the jacket art
  • Edit the jacket art, including adding copy about me, the price, SKU, barcode, new artwork dimensions, and teaser copy
  • Make decisions about the paper stock, cover stock, and hardcover binding
  • Find a system for hidden randomly generated barcodes to work for the "Like this section?"
  • Develop the Create Your Own Story section on the Onyx Sun site (HUGE...at least two months work)
  • Update Amazon, Goodreads, and personal web site information with correct book data including final launch date.
Still, having this amount of work to finish doesn't dissuade me so much as excite me. Feels good to be making real progress at last.

Kalamazoo!



Christopher

No comments: