...I am almost at the point where I can announce and lock-down a firm book launch date.
Steps I need to take to finalize a date:
- Finalize the proof - Today
- Receive final, print-quality proof - 12/16/2008
- Get quotes & time estimates from printers - 12/19/2008
- Negotiate print job with one printer - 12/22/2008
- Get final print schedule - 12/30/2008
- Announce book launch date - 12/30/2008
- Print the book on time!
Of course, this is far from all I have to do to produce the final book. Beyond those tasks, I have to:
- Get reviews for the jacket art
- Edit the jacket art, including adding copy about me, the price, SKU, barcode, new artwork dimensions, and teaser copy
- Make decisions about the paper stock, cover stock, and hardcover binding
- Find a system for hidden randomly generated barcodes to work for the "Like this section?"
- Develop the Create Your Own Story section on the Onyx Sun site (HUGE...at least two months work)
- Update Amazon, Goodreads, and personal web site information with correct book data including final launch date.